Tuesday, September 21, 2010

reflection on life drawing


After beginning in life drawing for only a week i have already been given a new appreciation for simplicity and form that can come from drawing from life and the body. There is something about having to capture the essence of a subject that is right is in front of you for a limited amount of time. The exercises that we do with our 30 second drawings and and the model's limited time poses really push me to see the entirety of a subject instead of the little details that can cause you to lose focus on what you're seeing. I have never drawn a live model before and never really though it would be that different from drawing from a photo, but after doing it, I now understand how the life drawing aspect is one of the most important I will learn in my career. In my past drawing career I have 80% of the time drawn from photos and they have turned out great and photo realistic. I now see that there has been something missing and that is the impermanence aspect of life drawing. I look forward to doing more work in this class and improving my skills and sight. if this class goes well i will probably think about taking life drawing two. the one thing that i might get a little weary of is these blog posts. but i will do my best to try and keep them interesting and true to what is going on in class and in my artistic career. i had this blog before i got into this class and used it for my work in general but for a while it will serve as my blog site for this class and to get my work out to the public. good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment